Author : David B,
The extended 'Surinder Singh for newbies' is now available for 2015, and it looks great. David has excelled himself once again.
PDF format, on Scribd :
EPUB format (good for certain mobile browsers), on Scribd :
Word format, on Scribd :
PDF format, on Docstoc (for those in jurisdictions which block Scribd, or for people who just prefer not to use Scribd) :
Word format, on Docstoc :
Now including (2014) :
1. New front cover graphic!
2. Print out itineraries/hotel accommodation
3. Visa is free
4. Cover letter incorporating the old and the new one
5. Relevant parts of the Directive
6. If quizzed on entry what to say.
7. Warning ‘Do not mention ‘Surinder Singh’ on entry
8. Don’t be alarmed at number of days stamped in passport
9. Factor in Prices, Health Care, and Transport
10. New links to Self-Employment
11. Non EU working without stamp 4
12. New link for PPS numbers
13. Opening Bank Accounts /Changes
14. Submit EU1 earliest opportunity and include cover letter for missing docs.
15. Centre of Life issues
16. Family Permit Apps and inclusion of ‘Teleperformance’
17. Map with locations and distances and times to travel to Dublin
18. PRTB explained in Family Permit Docs section.
19. Section 5 on EEA2 app relating to Singh and tick box if you have FP
20. Warning about planning and lack of planning
21. Additional useful sites
And for 2015 :
1. Introduction ‘Who Is Surinder Singh’?
2. Cain Ruling, with regards to unmarried durable relationships.
3. Marriage information site regarding getting married in Ireland.
4. Rewrite and change of fonts to make the guide easier to read.
5. Info on 30 day limit to submit all documents for C visa.
6. Travel any time within the validity period of C visa.
7. Emphasis on irrelevance what is stamped in passports on entry (90 days)
8. Stress importance of choosing location regarding homes and jobs.
9. Hidden costs e.g. TV licence, dentistry etc. and how expensive.
10. When choosing schools, make sure they are not oversubscribed, other costs include school uniforms & books etc.
11. Extra house rental sites added.
12. Article 23 from Directive confirming right to work for non EU.
13. Warnings on costs of living.
14. Overview of PPSN with added sites for tax & PPSN information.
15. Sending in EU1 application before resuming work.
16. Explanatory Leaflet EU1 link.
17. Check Bank charges with link to comparison websites detailing charges.
18. Explanation of PRTB.
19. Suggestions for integration into your local community for COL.
20. New EEA(FAM) RC application form + new fee and fee for biometrics.
21. Emphasis on patience will be needed throughout your stay in your host country.
22. To offset printing and photocopying costs suggest buying a cheap 3 in 1 printer.
23. Change of disclaimer description to now include people need to consult a lawyer or immigration specialist if needing advice.
24. New front page cover with new wording and description.
25. New graphic and vector art to compliment the wording and new site inclusions.
26. Explanation of abbreviations e.g. FP, COL, RC etc.
It's important to highlight that this is a guide, not a manual, as things change all the time and the nature of these things means that the sphere of knowledge is always growing.
This route is not easy - and preparation is key. But the rewards are great.
EEA visa - EU free movement - A great Facebook support group for people going through the route :
A video on one family's experience of the route :
Country-specific guides by Sonel (Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Malta, Netherlands, Poland) :
Surinder Singh stories (lots of links to various people's personal experiences at the bottom of the post) :
Malta in a nutshell by David and Dee :
Surinder Singh in the Netherlands by Amanda :
What is the Surinder Singh route and how does it work? Surinder Singh archive by Wayne :
More Surinder Singh links :