"I have never welcomed the weakening of family ties by politics or pressure" - Nelson Mandela.
"He who travels for love finds a thousand miles no longer than one" - Japanese proverb.
"Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence." - Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
"When people's love is divided by law, it is the law that needs to change". -
David Cameron.

Tuesday 9 April 2013

Xocoa

Xocoa's campaign for her family to be renunited is here : http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/denied-human-rights-to-a-family-life-let-the-sharma-family-live-safely-in-uk-together . Please support it!

'I AM BRITISH - a British citizen by birth. I trained as a nurse in the UK, within the NHS. My husband is a teacher in India.

Our son was born outside marriage, which is a problem for some people to accept in India. Also, the media in India covered our bi-cultural marriage (British-Indian). We were followed and harassed us wherever we went. It was horrible!

We were even subject to abduction threats - against both me and my children. The police couldn't offer us the protection we needed; and threatened by these groups, potential kidnappers.

So I was forced to return to the UK. Our family visit for him, however was refused. Even though I was pregnant at the time.

It was a difficult, painful pregnancy. It was so difficult that I became temporarily disabled - and no authority would help me. I was all alone - no authority would write a letter supporting me, and the government would not take this into account for him to be here, to support me.

So, my husband missed the birth of our baby daughter - the daughter he still hasn't seen. She is five months' old.

I need to work here to support our children. But I'm still recovering and need physio - so the catch-22 is that I can't work, AND look after the children, all by myself. I'm being forced into being a single parent. How does that protect the taxpayer??

Really and truly, I need him here to support me, to support his children. That is the best and only solution for all of us.

He wants to work. I can't get off benefits without his help. And the UK is refusing to let him come here.

We went through so much to get married in India. And India wouldn't have allowed me there for more than two years anyway, due to THEIR rules!

So where do we go? Who will have us? He hasn't even met his daughter. We miss each other so very very much - we are so depressed, and at our wits' end.

I love him with all my heart. The government discriminates against us because we aren't wealthy.'

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/denied-human-rights-to-a-family-life-let-the-sharma-family-live-safely-in-uk-together

1 comment:

  1. This is terrible and so sad. I hate this government cynicism.

    ReplyDelete