"I have never welcomed the weakening of family ties by politics or pressure" - Nelson Mandela.
"He who travels for love finds a thousand miles no longer than one" - Japanese proverb.
"Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence." - Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
"When people's love is divided by law, it is the law that needs to change". -
David Cameron.

Wednesday 29 May 2013

Research on family migration rules

Ana Macouzet is writing a disseration on the new family reunification rules and is looking for people affected who may be willing to share their stories. She explains :

'First, I want to examine the context in which the rules were formulated and constructed (especially ‘the immigration cap’). Second, I will analyze and question how the rules imply that the rights to family life and to migrate are reserved to those who can afford it, although they were created allegedly to secure the benefits of British citizens. Finally, I am interested in the implications that the rules have for the debates about citizenship and migration.

'In order to do this, I am analyzing speeches and newspapers, following some blogs and forums, and will conduct interviews with affected families, as well as some organizations that have been involved. I hope that I can publish part of the research results in some manner to support the campaigns against the rules.

'In this context, I would like to ask whether it would be possible to publish a small ad on your website so the affected families know about this research, and if interested, share their stories with me during June or July. All the stories would be treated anonymously if so desired. I am also flexible in any other requests, including that I travel outside of London to conduct the interviews if necessary. My research has benefitted enormously from your website, as well as the APPG on Migration sessions, but the interviews would help to reflect a more in depth analysis of the consequences of the rules.'

She can be emailed at ana.menendez.12@ucl.ac.uk , or tweeted at https://twitter.com/annamacouzet

No comments:

Post a Comment