"I have never welcomed the weakening of family ties by politics or pressure" - Nelson Mandela.
"He who travels for love finds a thousand miles no longer than one" - Japanese proverb.
"Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence." - Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
"When people's love is divided by law, it is the law that needs to change". -
David Cameron.

Thursday 20 March 2014

Al Jazeera : UK war on immigration tears families apart

http://m.aljazeera.com/story/201431811130793390

'... The assumption that migrants flock to Britain with little interest other than to attempt the intricate process of signing up to receive state funds is a common refrain that seems to conflict with the government's courting of foreign investment. If a British citizen is unemployed, they can apply for a visa for their spouse if they have cash savings of £62,000 ($103,000) in the bank for more than six months, something beyond the reach of most in the country. A picture slowly begins to emerge of a government policy that critics say wreaks havoc on families rich and poor alike. '

Jessie Najjar : "How can you explain that to a child that your dad isn't allowed to be here because he's not from this country, when all their friends' fathers are here? I'm just full of dread every day as I'm thinking of more things that are going to be horrible to tell him."

Jessica Peposhi : "I've been separated from my husband since 2012 when the new rules came in, and I have had enough of not feeling that I have the same rights as everyone else to live as a happily married couple. I don't even know what it's like to live as a married couple because we haven't had that chance to physically live together. I don't want to move out of my country. Why should I just because I've married someone that I love?"

Monte : "They don't take emotional ties into account," said Monte. "She visited me here recently and enjoys playing with my kids, but that was just on a tourist visa and then she had to leave. We are a very happy family and now we're split. It's a policy that makes you choose between your parent and your family in the UK who, if the breadwinner moves away, will be dependent on the state."

Katharine Williams-Radojicic : "I used to say that it is 2,000 miles [3,220 kilometres] by road from London to Podgorica, and if walking there was all I had to do for Raco and I to live our lives together in freedom, I'd start walking right now."


No comments:

Post a Comment