"I have never welcomed the weakening of family ties by politics or pressure" - Nelson Mandela.
"He who travels for love finds a thousand miles no longer than one" - Japanese proverb.
"Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence." - Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
"When people's love is divided by law, it is the law that needs to change". -
David Cameron.

Thursday 28 May 2015

Poem on human rights

By: Anonymous, choosing to not be identified because of the family's visa situation

First they came for a man who preached hate and violence
and sent him away to be tortured
and I did not speak out – because I am not a terrorist

Then they came for the working poor who fell in love with a foreigner
and left British children with only a Skype Mummy and a tablet called Da-Da
and I did not speak out – because I was lucky, my wife had a visa

Then they came for those who spoke out
and locked a Welsh Man’s wife in a high security prison for a week after she spoke to the BBC
and I did not speak out – because I was scared

All this they did while complaining about how the need to respect our basic Human Rights made it difficult

Now they are coming for the only independent judges who can provide rules to protect us
and asking us to let them do whatever they want to us in the future
it is time to speak out – before there is no one left

No comments:

Post a Comment